Monday, October 7, 2013

Issue 6 – Hard way or lazy way to deal with issues?



Issue 6 – Hard way or lazy way to deal with issues?

Why our Council always like to ban this, ban that?

I had been asked my position in the proposed ban on pesticide, external air-conditioner & shark fin etc., and I always answered: I am not a fan of banning anything! In Canada, even fire arms are only regulated but not banned!  Why our Council like to ban that many things?

I don’t expect all elected officials are highly intelligent, but they should at least be hard-working!  Choose to ban something is just to pick yes or no to an issue – an easy way.

To me, before any ban is proposed, I suggest some more homework should be done. They should try to find out what’s acceptable limit by the majority before even thinking of any ban suggestion.

Use the pesticide as an example. Council must have solid proof that there’s a real threat or damage to the public health before drafting any bylaw on the issue.  They should work with Alberta Health Services to make sure the bylaw will be enforceable; check with business stakeholders in the industry to make sure the proposed Bylaw is reasonable; check with the public to make sure someone’s civic right will not be deprived of etc.

I don’t need the government to tell me where to live, what to eat or when should cry; and that’s why I chose Canada not North Korea to build my family and raise my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment